APPLE AND PECAN CAKE WITH BUTTER ICE CREAM – Simple and special dessert for Thanksgiving and the holiday season! Easy Layer Cake is a fall treat with chopped apples, pecans, and buttercream frosting!
Fall is officially here! It’s time for apples, pecans, pumpkins and cooler weather. This cake represents everything I love about this time of year. Apple desserts and apple recipes are one of my favorite things to do in the fall!
This apple pecan cake with buttercream frosting is my favorite apple cake, I have tried many apple cakes over the years and it’s a winner! So soft and dense, with buttercream frosting, delicious cake! Apple Pecan Cake with Buttercream Frosting is bursting with fall flavors and is the perfect way to kick off apple season.
This cake has a few steps, but the steps are quite easy and it is well worth it. Super sweet, super delicious and super satisfying! Do you have your Thanksgiving dessert? Apple Pecan Cake with Buttercream is everything you could imagine and more! Two layers of apple and pecan cake filled with the most succulent buttercream frosting are definitely worth a spot on your Thanksgiving table.
The buttercream frosting alone is reason enough to drop everything and make it right away. This buttercream frosting recipe is light, chewy, and tastes great. Perfect consistency and perfect flavor, this is my easy frosting recipe. It all works really well together and I love their taste. I want to wish you all a happy Thanksgiving and hope you have a great day with family and great food with this Apple Pecan Cake with Buttercream Frosting. Enjoy!
For the cake:
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups of granulated sugar
- 1 cup of canola oil
- 2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon of nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups of apple, finely chopped
- 1 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped
For the buttercream frosting:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 ½ to 5 cups caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- 5 tablespoons of heavy cream
Pecans or walnuts, chopped optional
To make a cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Grease two 8-inch round baking tins, line with parchment paper or waxed paper, set aside
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and baking soda
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the eggs and oil until well blended.
- Add the sugar, vanilla, and sour cream and mix well
- Slowly add the flour mixture until blended (the dough will be very thick)
- Add the apples and nuts and mix
- Pour the batter into the prepared molds
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean
- Let cool in molds for 10 minutes, then place cakes on wire racks and let cool completely
To make buttercream frosting:
- In a medium bowl, combine butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, salt and heavy cream and beat for 5-7 minutes until light and fluffy
- Add more powdered sugar as needed for a thicker frosting or add heavy cream little by little for a thin frosting
To assemble the cake:
- Place one of the rounds of cake on a serving platter
- Spread a thin layer of buttercream frosting on the cake
- Place another layer of cake on top of the filling and spread the buttercream frosting all over the cake
- Squeeze chopped pecans or walnuts into sides of the cake and sprinkle edges