Recipe for Earthquake Cake – This is a moist, delicious cake that you don’t have to frost, because the cream cheese mixture becomes a layer of frosting INSIDE the cake, that cracks the cake apart with its awesomeness, hence it’s name, the earthquake cake!
- 1 box German Chocolate Cake Mix (do not prepare as directed on box, prepare as directed below)
- 1/3 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 and 1/3 cup water
- 2/3 cup shredded coconut
- 2/3 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup butter
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 pound powdered sugar (3 and 3/4 cups)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Sprinkle the coconut, chocolate chips, and pecans on the bottom of the pan.
- Mix the german chocolate cake mix with the oil, eggs, and water.
- Pour the cake mix on top of the coconut/chocolate chip/pecan layer.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter and cream cheese.
- Beat in 1 pound of powdered sugar until it’s smooth to the butter/cream cheese.
- Spread this mixture on top of the uncooked german chocolate cake in the pan, and swirl into the cake mix using a knife.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes. It is done when it doesn’t wobble in the pan if you shake it. The toothpick test shouldn’t work because the cake should be more gooey in nature.