Yes the traditional breaded fried chicken parmesan is very good but the extra butter soaked breadcrumbs are just not necessary. We have omitted some unhealthy extras but there is no sacrifice on flavour here. Yum
½ tablespoon olive oil
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Salt and chilli powder
¼ cup thick and rich tomato sauce
¼ cup parmesan cheese (freshly grated)
1 tablespoon fresh chopped oregano
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Preheat a medium sized frying pan on medium heat.
- Season chicken on both sides with salt and chilli powder.
- Add oil to pan and then the seasoned chicken breasts. Lightly brown on both sides and then transfer to a baking sheet.
- Top with as much tomato sauce as you can fit and then sprinkle with the parmesan cheese.
- Place in the oven and bake until a probe thermometer placed in the center of the thickest part of the breast reads 170º F.
- Remove from oven, garnish with fresh oregano and serve with a nice salad and some steamed vegetables.
Parmesan cheese is not the only cheese that will work here. Experiment and try any of your favourite cheeses.
For something totally different, try topping the chicken with some mashed yams instead of the tomato sauce and top with cheese and then bake