This oxtail stew is a vegetable and meat stew. Prepared with added raisins and olives, the oxtail stew is spiced with chili powder and flavored with orange juice and worcestershire sauce. Savory and peppy, it can be served in bowls or over rice.
- 3 lbs oxtails
- 1 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- kosher salt to taste
- 5 tbs flour
- olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 3 mild green chili peppers, chopped
- 4 carrots sliced
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 8 cups chicken stock
- Flour and salt and pepper the oxtails.
- In a saute pan using medium high heat brown the oxtails.
- Once the oxtails are browned, remove them from the pan and add to a large sauce pan or stock pot and cover with 1/2 of the chicken stock
- In the first pan add the onions and garlic and saute until soft. About 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining flour,salt and pepper and stir.
- When the color has darkened add the wine and remaining stock.
- Whisk well until smooth.
- Add the sauce to the oxtails along with the green peppers and carrots.
- Cook on medium low for 2 hours.