Lemon and blueberry is one of my favorite combinations and I am really glad my husband and daughter also enjoy this equally well. This almost guarantees that whenever I bake something using this delectable combination, it is quite satisfying to know that my family is going to enjoy it.
- 1/4 c. All-Purpose Flour
- 2/3 c. Granulated Sugar
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 1 c. Low-Fat Buttermilk
- 1 tsp Grated Lemon Rind
- 3 Tbsp. Fresh Lemon Juice
- 2 Tbsp. Stick Margarine Or possibly Butter, Melted
- 2 large Egg Yolk
- 3 lrg Egg Whites, Room Temperature
- 1/4 c. Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 cup Blueberries Or possibly Boysenberries
- Cooking Spray
- 3/4 tsp Powdered Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring c.; level with a knife. Combine flour, 2/3 c. granulated sugar, salt, and nutmeg into a large bowl; add in buttermilk, lemon rind, juice, margarine, and egg yolks, stirring with a whisk till smooth.
- Beat egg whites at high speed of a mixer till foamy. Add in 1/4 c. granulated sugar, 1 tbsp. at a time, beating till stiff peaks form. Gently stir one-fourth of egg white mix into buttermilk mix; gently mix in remaining egg white mix . Mix in boysenberries.
- Pour batter into a bread pan coated with cooking spray.
- Place in a larger baking pan; add in warm water in larger pan to depth of 1 inch. Bake at 350 for 35 min or possibly till cake springs back when touched lightly in center. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Decorate with your favorite berries. Serve hot.