This easy bread recipe for old-fashioned bread pudding is a dessert recipe that is popular in many countries around the world. You will find this easy bread recipe made in countries to include Europe, North and south America to Asia. Bread pudding is a great way to use up left-over bread. For this easy bread recipe, the bread is soaked in the milk and the eggs mixture. Then other ingredients such as raisins and other dried fruit are added, along with spices such as vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon and liqueur to include rum, whiskey or bourbon. The bread pudding is then baked in the oven for about an hour. Usually, bread pudding is served with some brandy butter sauce, custard sauce or rum sauce. Sometimes bread pudding can be served with whipped cream, maple syrup or vanilla ice cream. For this easy bread recipe, you will need about six cups of cubed stale French bread or other bread varieties. For the full step by step easy bread recipe, you’ll want to take a look at the Kitchen Nostalgia site.
- 2 cups milk
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 6 cups cubed stale French bread
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup whiskey or rum
- 1/2 cup raisins soaked in whiskey for 2 hours
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C) .
- Scald the milk, add the butter and pour hot liquid over the bread cubes. Soak about 5 minutes then add sugar, eggs, whiskey and spices. Add the raisins.
- Pour mixture into buttered baking dish. Set the dish in a pan of hot water and bake until knife inserted in the center comes out clean, or about one hour.
- Serve with brandy butter (hard sauce), rum sauce or custard sauce.